- To remove impurities from the molten metal.
- In slag formation which can be easily removed from the weld.
- To protect the weld deposit from air contamination.
- To add alloy materials in the weldment.
- To add an additional filler metal to the weldment.
Moreover care is required for handling of coated electrodes, even a slight blow or poor handling can lead to the damage. An electrode with damage coating may cause severe weld defects like porosity, undercuts, lack of penetration etc. Listed below are the types of coating that are normally applied in commercial/industrial welding operations.